Monday, May 2, 2016

Cinco de Mayo - Its a celebration!

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the day the Mexican Army defeated the much larger and stronger French Army on May 5th 1862. The Mexican Army had about 4,500 poorly equipped troops versus the premier 8,000 well equipped army from France. It was a moral booster the the Mexican forces during the French invasion of Mexico. That is impressive. Similar to the David and Goliath story of the bible. For me, it was the day  that I was baptized into the body of Christ and I made a public declaration that I was dead to sin and alive to God.

On May the 5th, 2013, I was baptized. So just like the ill equipped Mexican army, an ill equipped me who had recently got born again, through Jesus Christ, defeated the army of the darkness. Jesus said in John 16:33 that He has overcome the world and that we should be of good cheer because of that. In Joshua 23:3 says that for the Lord your God has fought you. Instead of Cinco de Mayo being a day to get my drink on, its a day I will never forget because its the day I was buried with Christ and risen with Him. Things changed for me that day for the good. God pledges to give us a clear conscience. On top of that, when we get baptized, we receive the power of the Holy Spirit. Glory Hallelujah!

I was born again on January 30th 2013. Shortly after that I had this deep desire to get baptized. While I waited, I grew in the knowledge of Christ and I also learned what baptism was really about. Biblical baptism is for a believer who has believed on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. After they have confessed their sins and repented. Some churches like to make a person wait a while or some say you don't need to do it at all. Now if we say we are followers of Christ and Christ was baptized, that should mean we should also get baptized. Plus there is a blessing that comes with that. Its the gift of the Holy Spirit. Without baptism, you don't get it. So I highly suggest getting baptized if you haven't already.

I want to add that if you were baptized as an infant, that is not Biblical and does not count. You have to be in an age that you understand that you are a sinner so that you can confess your sins and be fully immersed (dunked in head to toe completely). Remember that Jesus is our example. He was a 30 something year old man when He was baptized. I am not saying kids cant be baptized. For example, when Jocelyn my daughter was 6 and my son Santino was 5, they were born again in December 2014. They understood that they were sinners. I didn't force it on them and I made it clear what salvation meant, what it may even cost them and they still gave their lives to Christ. It wasn't dear ole dad who convinced them, it was a work of God through the Holy Spirit. A week later, I had the honor of baptizing my children.

You don't have to wait until church on Sunday or a certain amount of time to get baptized. As soon as you get born again you can be baptized.. As long as the person who is baptizing you is also a believer in Christ who has also been baptized, then they can baptize you. Some churches teach that a Pastor has to do it but nowhere in the Bible does it say  that. I've seen baptisms at churches, swimming pools, lakes, rivers, the ocean, kiddie pools, and Jacuzzis for example. The water isn't special or "magical". The act of the baptism has many meanings. You are declaring publicly that of your faith in Christ. It also means that as you are fully immersed into the water that your sinful nature has been buried with Christ. When you come out of the water you symbolically have been resurrected with Him. The Bible says that when you are baptized, you also get the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The following is the account of the baptism of Jesus Christ. Matthew 3:13-17 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. 14 And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” But Jesus answered and said to him, Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he allowed Him. When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Jesus said in Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Jesus even commands us to baptize people in the Great Commission. Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore[a] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Philip and the eunuch. Acts 8:35-38 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.  

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

See, the Bible says not to wait to get baptized. Acts 22:16 "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on His name."

When Jesus says "Verily, Verily" or "Truly, truly" that means He REALLY, REALLY means what He says. John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Like I had mentioned before, baptism symbolizes that we have put to death our sinful nature and we are now alive to God and walk in the newness of life. Check out Romans 6:3-4 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

John the Baptist said in Matthew 3:11  "baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." There is a baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is for the remission of your sins, but the baptism of the Holy Spirit is so that you can have the power of the Spirit so you can do the things God has predestined for you to do. They come in the forms of gifts of the Spirit such as preaching, teaching, prophesying, speaking in tongues, the ability to interpret tongues, the ability to heal, wisdom, and the ability to work miracles. Read about it in 1 Corinthians 12:1-11. The baptism of fire, from what I have been told is when we are put through trails to test our faith. Its also a way that the Lord purifies us from sin. Personally, I don't like the process but I sure do like the results! 

In closing, Cinco de Mayo to me is not a day to celebrate my heritage or a day to go just go get drunk and party anymore. Its the day I can celebrate that I officially declared myself dead to sin and alive to God. Praise the Lord! On that day I really noticed a difference and my walk with God changed for the better. I encourage any believer that has not been baptized to do so as soon as they possibly can. Lastly, I wanted to share with you all that I performed my first marriage on May 1st. Please pray for Craig and Barbara Pagsoligan, the happy couple I had the honor and privilege to marry. 

Until next time, Adios! 






No comments: