Sunday, July 31, 2016

What I have learned from owning a cat and dog about God

Now, how could the Lord possibly show me and anyone anything through a cat and dog? I have learned a lot about how God sees us, about human nature and why He has given me these to wonderful creatures to make me more holy and into the likeness of Christ. I hope that this message makes you laugh, makes you examine yourself and also appreciate our furry friends a bit more. If there is one thing I have learned in the time I have been born again is that there are no coincidences when it comes to God.I want to start off by sharing a verse in Proverbs 12:10 that says that the righteous man "regardeth the life of his beasts". The regard your pets or farm animals (if you happen to have them) is to give attention to, to to have concern for them. That is all good but I see people taking that to an extreme. They basically worship their pets. Show them affection, take care of them and be kind to them. That is all you are required to do. I know people in my personal life who exalt their pet higher than God and they don't know that they are doing it. Do not exalt anything, including your pets or animals above the Lord. I was guilty of this and I have repented of it.

I will start with my cat. His name is Ollo. We got him for free from a friend of my wife in August 2011. He was only 10 weeks old when we got him. We were told that the cat was a girl. When we took the cat to get spayed the vet called and told me "Mr. Diaz I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?" I said bad news first. The vet said "Your cat is not a she, its a he." Now, I've told people this and they laugh at me like I should have known. First of all, we were told that the cat was female. Second, I am not going to looking at the my cat's privates to know for sure. Anyways, the good news was that the neutering was going to cost me less. My cat was named Maggie but once we found out she was a he, we changed it. Me and my wife came up with Ollo after watching the kids movie "Mega Mind". In the movie the main character answers the phone and instead of saying "Hello" he says "Ollo". We thought it was a good fit and it stuck. Ollo loves to bite, plays very rough and is very moody. We got Ollo before I was born again and I wasn't exactly very kind to him. But after being born again I have learned so much from him. I have learned how to love someone and forgive them even when they don't love or forgive me back. Ollo has free will and he does what he wants and I have to respect that or else he will let me know I've over stepped my boundaries. I praise God for Ollo because God blessed my family with an amazing creature with so many colors and amazing abilities. I know also that all creation is waiting in earnest anticipation for the revealing of the sons of God and they groan and travail. So when Ollo gets mad or hisses at me, instead of disciplining him, I tell that I understand why he is doing what he is doing Yes, I talk to my cat. If God can make a donkey talk, he can make my cat understand my words. The last thing I want to share about Ollo was a time when he left for 4 days. On the 4th day my wife came home from work late that night and asked if Ollo had come back home. I said no. I suggested that she pray about it and I would pray with her. So she prayed and pleaded with the Lord with tears in her eyes. We went to bed and about 3:30am we heard scratching at the door. Ollo came back home! We praised God and loved on Ollo that morning. We gave him hugs, kisses, food and his treats. Reminds me of the prodigal son. He was a changed cat when he came back home. He was a lot nicer for some reason. The Lord heard our prayer and I believe got Ollo back home. The Bible says that God cares for the things that matter to us. This mattered to us, so it mattered to Him. Praise the Lord because His mercy is steadfast and endures forever more.

Our dog Angel has a slightly different story and I have learned something different from her. She is the complete opposite of the cat. She is usually happy, very friendly, extremely loving and very playful. We got her through another friend of my wife's from her job. He had bought Angel for his girlfriend but they broke up and she gave him back the puppy. He didn't want the dog. So we bought Angel for $60.00. She is a Chihuahua/Jack Russel terrier mix. I had been praying for a dog because my kids were terrified of dogs. It tore me up inside to see my kids so frightened because this happened all the time. Me and my wife came to the conclusion that the only way they would get over their fear of dogs is by having one as a pet. So we prayed for the perfect dog for our family. When we first saw Angel we all fell in love with her. Her little waggy tail and big ears. She was about 3 months old when we got her in June 2015. Angel is tiny but she has the biggest heart in our family. She is very loving and affectionate. But I learned that sometimes we don't always need to be loved overwhelmingly by others. Gods love is perfect and unwavering. Although Angel has all black fur, I still praise God for His handy work. She may not be a pure breed dog but that does  not take away from her beauty. The most beautiful part of Angel is her love and her big heart. She is also very good with my kids. She is tender and playful with them. God truly heard our prayers and gave us the desires of our heart. I didn't think it was possible but the Bible says that with God all things are possible. Through Angel, I have got a taste of what God's unconditional love is like. Not matter what, when I see Angel, she will greet me and give me all kinds of love.

God has used the cat to humble me and has used the dog to comfort me. Before I got born again, I was kind of like a cat. I had to come when I wanted and how I wanted. I wasn't going to be forced or else it would just push me away. God sent me one guy to draw me back to the Lord. Even then I felt reluctant. After that it was just the Lord calling me and showing that I needed Him. I came at free will. When my cat comes and snuggles up with me unexpectedly, I don't turn him away and he knows I wont. He knows that I will love him and pet him. Its feels so sweet when this happens. On the other hand, Angel, when I call her she comes running with her tail wagging and her ears up with such eagerness to see what I wanted. She obeys the call and she freely comes as well. She doesn't have to and when she does she does it eagerly. Oh if we were more like that. If we were more eager to obey our calling from God and do it with out complaining and full of joy. Jesus said that if we love Him that we should do what He commands. I know that I write a lot about it but it is worth being repeated because it is the truth. Some people don't like cats because they have a mind of their own but the like dogs because the dog does what  you tell it. Some people like cats because they are independent and don't need so much attention. But they don't like dogs because they are so needy. Think about it though, aren't we like that with God sometimes? We have a mind of own and free will. Yet we reject Gods love. We are needy but God doesn't turn us away. We think that we are independent but we need God to take care of us. God loves it when we obey Him.

                                 I want to share this link about 10 Biblical truths about animals


                       


No comments: