Thursday, September 11, 2014

Nail it on the cross

 Galatians 3:13 - Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”

Hebrews 9:28 - so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

1 Peter 2:24 - who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

There is a saying that I am sure has been around a long time and I am sure most believers have heard it. "Nail it on on the cross". When I first heard this saying, the way I understood it at the time was that I should give my sins, worries and problems to the Lord. Which is true.When we repent from our sinful life, we give Him our sinful life and He in return gives us righteousness via the work of the cross and resurrection. But it was revealed to me another meaning which I thought was really cool and I thought I would share.

Another way it has been revealed to me to understand this saying is Jesus came to save the very ones that nailed Him to the cross. So when we nail our sins, our sickness, our depression, etc. on the cross, we are nailing Christ to the cross because He came to save us. Jesus took our sin and became sin. He was separated from God the father for the first and only time EVER.

 I found a quote that I believe ties in well with the subject at hand by John R.W. Stott. “Before we can begin to see the cross as something done for us, we have to see it as something done by us.” So it was our sins, our illnesses, our disobedience and our circumstances that nailed Christ on the cross. It is because of us that God sent Jesus to die. But because Jesus had lived a perfect life and became sin for us, we exchange our sinful life for the perfect and righteous life that Jesus lived. Through Moses, God brought the law (10 commandments). Mankind could not live up to the standard of God. The law was fulfilled by Jesus because He was the only man ever to live up to the law. But through Jesus, grace, mercy and forgiveness was introduced. This is good news!






No comments: