Thursday, November 27, 2014

ENFORCED SLOWDOWN - By Lee Walters

A special treat for you all. A gentleman I have gotten to know through my church has offered to share his writings on this blog. His name is Lee Walters. He is a retired US Air Force Chaplain. Keep us in your prayers. Without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Lee Walters.  
Have you ever looked out the window of an airplane at the ground passing under you?  Way down there are roads, cars, buildings, houses and, invisible to you at that height, people.  Have you ever wondered what you were missing?  I mean, you have to be missing a lot.  There are all kinds of things to see and do down there that you will never know anything about because you are soaring way overhead at hundreds of miles an hour.  Life is a lot like that.  We get terribly busy and we start to miss some important things as we fly through our daily routines.   
The 23rd Psalm contains some of the most familiar, comforting and beautiful words in the Bible.
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 
In case there is any question about who the shepherd is, in John 10:11 Jesus said, I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.  Psalm 22-24 make up a triptych of psalms that belong together.  In Psalm 22 we see the cross of the Savior.  Jesus lays down His life for the sheep.  In Psalm 23 we see the shepherd’s crook as He leads us through this life, leading, guiding and conforming us into His image.  And in Psalm 24 we see the Sovereign King’s crown.  In Psalm 22 He dies; In Psalm 23 He is living and in Psalm 24 He is coming again to reign.   
The 23rd Psalm is also informative.  The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. This is my favorite picture of my relationship with the Lord: I love Him.  He is my shepherd and I am His sheep.  But, calling me a sheep is not the most complimentary thing that can be said about me.  A modern sheep rancher destroys the myth of sheep being nice, sweet, helpless little animals when he said, “These sheep are stubborn, hardheaded, and pig headed animals. Besides that, they are dirty and filthy.”  That is a picture of the human race.  I apparently need a lot of help from Him for my daily life because my chances of living my life pleasing to Him on my own are zero. 
Now there is an unusual ministry that the shepherd has in our lives.  I call it the ministry of enforced slowdown.  It says; He makes me lie down. It’s like I don’t have enough sense to slow down and smell the roses so I have to be forced to slow down at times.  And where does He force me to lie down?  Not in a bad place; it’s in green pastures.  And He makes you lie down to see some things I could never see when I’m running through or flying over.
Now, the Lord has many means of making us lie down or at least to get us to slow down.  I've experienced a few.  He's got medical brakes that He steps on to slow you down, financial brakes, family brakes; all situations that forces us to stop and give it attention; some circumstance which comes along that forces us to go slower.  Then there is the retirement brake and the old age brake which allows us to go slower from now on.   
When one of these situations hits our lives we tend to grumble and resist every step of the way.  But God has things for us to see that we're missing when we go through life at full throttle.  Maybe we have been missing the person we are married to, and God is saying, “Slow down! Rediscover the treasure I gave you in this person.”  Maybe we’ve been missing the daily drama of our child growing up right before your eyes; days we can never get back.  God is putting on the brakes so we can get to know our son or daughter.  Unfortunately, it seems that a crisis is what brings a family closer to each other.
Possibly you've been missing quality time with the Lord Himself, and God is saying, Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:11)  Retirement has afforded me time to spend with the Lord like I never had before; to get to know Him more intimately.  It is hard to “be busy and know.”  We can be flying right past our Lord day after day.  In the confusion of a busy life our priorities got jumbled.  At the speed we've been traveling, we can't even see the faces of people.  In fact some of us are flying so high and so fast that we can’t even see people.  We can't hear what they're saying. We can't enjoy the journey because we are so obsessed with the destination.  So in His love, the Shepherd has declared a slowdown for me.  I have embraced it! 
If all of a sudden you can't fly like you're used to doing, don’t allow yourself to be frustrated or complain about your situation.  Embrace it!  Thank the Lord for making you lie down so you can see some green pastures that you've been flying right over.

No comments: